Several years ago Entergy, which is the local electric company in the New Orleans area, started October Energy Efficiency where they promote Energy Efficient tips and ideas so that everyone can reduce their electric bills throughout the year.
Here are some of the tips and things that are easy to do in the home:
- Change your air conditioning filters at least every three months;
- Replace all of your incandescent light bulbs with the longer lasting ENERGY STAR® Certified light bulbs.
- Use a Power Strip for your Electronics
- If you are replacing your refrigerator make sure you buy a ENERGY STAR certified one;
- Wash your clothes in cold water;
- Use a low-flow showered to save water;
- Purchase an ENERGY STAR certified heat pump water heater from a local retailer;
- Install a programmable thermostat;
It is also possible to hire an Energy Advisor to assess your home for leaks around doors, windows, ducts and the rest of your home…
More information Energy Smart Nola
More information about ENERGY STAR products visit: Energy Star Appliances
In addition to the program that Entergy has The Alliance for Affordable Energy which is a small non profit is working hard to ensure there are fair energy rates, they are an advocacy group. More information is available at All 4 Energy or by phone at 504-208-9761.
And finally you can receive free energy efficient light bulbs by visiting Green Light New Orleans. Everyone qualifies and this group has replaced over 600,000 light bulbs throughout the area…
Thank you to the representatives of Entergy, Green Light NOLA and Affordable Energy who I ran into at City Hall and gave me permission for this blog post and reproducing the information….thank you…