1. A Po Boy is a sandwich on French Bread “dressed” with mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato. In New Orleans you will be asked if you want your sandwich “dressed”. If you are not asked and you don’t say your sandwich will come with all of these toppings.
2. The roads are in terrible condition in some parts of the Garden District and Uptown. There are no drains for water to flow to so the sides of the roads are tranches where water can collect during heavy rainfalls.
3. Until this year there was no recycling but now the City of New Orleans recycles except for darkly colored glass bottles. ?!?!
4. It is legal to drive and talk on your phone and yes drivers are distracted and this is not a good thing.
5. Sometimes it is okay when making a left turn to go through the red light after the turn but it is not okay at all the time. The very nice New Orleans police officer I asked about this said it up to the officers to decide and there are no signs.
6. Locations are discussed as towards the river or towards the lake and because of the curve of the Mississippi River north can become south and east is not necessarily east.
7. There are 70 communities in New Orleans and it is impossible to know everything about everything.
8. In New Orleans your entire property tax is due in January.
9. There are no no parking signs for road cleaning, there is no road cleaning however the roads seem clean anyway.
10. In New Orleans you can buy a daiquiri at a drive thru and so if you thought that driving while on your cell was not a good thing what do you think of this?
11. It is legal to walk around the French Quarter drinking liquor and there are many daiquiri establishments.
12. The trolly car’s cost $1.25 and you must have exact change.
13. One of the local supermarkets is a chain by the name of Rousse’s. They are all over and have prepared foods that people down here seem to like.
14. I am told that Popeye’s makes the best beans and rice as good as making it at home.
15. There is a shopping mall out in Metairie with stores like Williams Sonoma, Sephora and there is an Apple Store, my personal favorite. All of the big box stores are also out in Metairie with Best Buy, Target, Sears (for now) and most of what you can think of.
16. Lot’s of things are discussed in terms of Hurricane Katrina with comparisons of how it was before to how it is now often made.
17. You could if you wanted to eat out every night of the week for a year and never eat in the same place twice or at least it seems that way.
18. This community rocks. It is quirky, engaging and engaged. People have moved here from all over the country. People visit and stay because there is just no place quite like New Orleans.
If you have never been to New Orleans you really should make it a point to visit..